- All children in Stages 2 and 3 (Years 3 - 6) and competent Year 1 and Year 2 children, participate in our school swimming carnival.
- The children have an opportunity to participate in the following events: 25m, 50m or 100m freestyle, 50m backstroke, 50m breaststroke and 50m butterfly.
- The carnival takes place after the completion of our whole school swimming program at the end of Term 4.
- The children in Early Stage 1 and Stage 1 (Kindergarten - Year 2) participate in a 'Dry Land Carnival' at school on the day. The children participate in various water activities focused on water awareness and water play.
Cross Country Carnival
- This event is held in Term 1.
- Training is held in the two weeks leading up to the event by gradually building on the distance they run.
- the children's level of fitness and ability to participate in this event is evaluated just before the event.
- The Cross Country Carnival is held at school and all children are expected to attend and participate in this event.
- Each age group runs a different part of the course appropriate to their level.
School Athletics Carnival
- This event is held in Term 2. All the children from Early Stage One to Stage Three participate in a variety of field and track events.
- In each of these sporting areas children have the opportunity to compete against other schools at a Zone Carnival.
- Some children who are successful at the Zone Carnival may be able to compete at a Diocesan Level.
Intensive Swimming Program
- The Intensive Swimming Program is a compulsory component of the Personal Development, Health and Physical Education Syllabus.
- Children are taught skills in the area of aquatics dealing with water familiarisation, water confidence, water safety, floating and movement skills, basic swimming strokes, water safety and rescue skills, stroke development, diving, and emergency procedures.
- The program takes place in Term 4 for 8 days for all children.
All children from the age of 8 who attend Our Lady of Lourdes have the opportunity to participate in representative teams in a wide range of sports. Representation is facilitated through the following pathway: School (OLOL) > Zone (Blacktown) > Diocese (Parramatta) > Region (MacKillop) > State (NSW PSSA) > culminating with the opportunity for talented sports people to participate in School Sport Australia. All sports are conducted in age categories:
- Junior (8 yrs, 9 yrs, 10 yrs)
- 11 years
- Senior (12 yrs, 13 yrs)
Children have opportunities to trial for selection in Diocesan teams for AFL, basketball, cricket, diving, hockey, netball, rugby league, rugby union, soccer, softball, tennis and touch football. Children who make these teams then have the opportunity to follow the above pathway. For further information, click on the link to Primary Sport Parramatta.
Gala Days are a great opportunity for students in Stages 2 and 3 (Years 3 - 6) with a variety of skills and abilities, to compete in a fun atmosphere. It is an enjoyable way to socialise with peers and develop a sense of commitment to a team and the OLOL school community, whilst increasing the children's fitness and natural skills.
A modified version of the game is played in some sports. The game involves the whole team focusing on fun, teamwork, discipline, and technique. Gala Days provide another opportunity for students to represent their school at a diocesan level.
Our Lady of Lourdes participates in the following Gala Days and sporting opportunities:
- Cricket - Mark Taylor Shield Cricket
- Gymnastics - Years 2-6 Gymnastics Competition
- Netball - St Nicholas Gala Day Penrith
- Rugby League - Parramatta Catholic Schools Gala Day
- Soccer - Stages 2 and 3 Soccer Gala Days
- Touch Football - Stages 2 and 3 Touch Football Gala Day