Care of Students
- At Our Lady of Lourdes, we promote the 3 “R’s”: Respect, Responsibility and Readiness to Learn. We encourage our students to make positive choices about their behaviour, both on the playground and in the classroom, to help create a safe, happy and healthy environment.
- The learning support model used at Our Lady of Lourdes allows children to be targeted in many areas of learning. We have specialist teachers trained in EMU (Maths) and Reading Recovery.
- A learning support teacher is allocated to work with a particular Stage group. This teacher provides in-class support and assists the class teacher to modify their programs to suit the needs of individual learners.
At Our Lady of Lourdes we understand that starting school can be a challenging and anxious time for some children and their families. We have developed a program to help make that transition as smooth as possible for our families. The program involves:
- preschool visitation for students identified as requiring support during the interview process
- an orientation morning for children and parents in November, after enrolment is accepted.
- children beginning school in small groups and are not placed in classes until the third week of school
- observing/assessing the students academically, socially and behaviourally during the first three weeks
- Kindergarten students being assigned a Year 6 ‘buddy’ student to help them settle into school
- Kindergarten parents having the opportunity to gather in the first week to share experiences and establish relationships over morning tea
- Our leadership program is designed to build leadership skills in students. We have two school leaders from Year 6.
- We have eight Sports leaders who are elected by their peers at the beginning of each year. Their role is to support their colour house and provide support to teachers in organising sporting equipment and events.
- Students from Year 3 to Year 5 have the opportunity to be a part of our school’s Student Representative Council. All of our student leaders are elected by their classmates and have a prominent role to play in our school life.
Come and see learning in action at Our Lady of Lourdes!
We’d love a chance to show you how learning works for young people in our school. Our dedicated teachers plan the learning in detail to help each child do his or her best.